Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Absolutely nothing. Either I've become a bad feminist, or I'm too jaded and cynical to become upset by this country's inanity anymore, but this really doesn't upset me. Why? Because it's a cheap political ploy meant to challenge a pre-existing judicial statute. We all knew this was coming the minute Alito was confirmed, so, really, I'm not surprised. Although, I am intrigued by the fact that I'm just not upset by it. Maybe my father's incredibly jaded and acerbic political viewpoint has finally warped my brain, but the truth is that I will always be able to get an abortion should I need one. I'll always find a way to get enough money to go to Canada or France or some other non-Puritanical, non-classist, non-racist, non-oligarchical, non-misogynist country. So, here's the thing. If the nation keeps electing these Puritanical, classist, racist, oligarchical, misogynist politicians who are going out of their way to screw them over, why should I care? Now, as many of you know, I am big on the election day conspiracy thoeries (No paper trail, people! It's the perfect crime). My state legalized abortion before Roe v. Wade. Do you really think that, even if Roe v. Wade was overturned, it would seriously be an end to abortion across the country? Do you think that California or Oregon or Massachusetts would go along with it? Not likely.

Now, as a big ol' WOSTie, I know all about the poor women who don't or can't vote and who don't have access to birth control and how everyone is racist and how it is my job to protect them blah blah blah. Maybe my progressive liberal spirit has been broken, or maybe I just can't be bothered to give a shit anymore about this bullshit country. Land of freedom my ass.

No comments: