Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Fashion, turn to the left. So it seems that today is "Love Your Body" day here at Swells, and the spam and posters for it are making me really happy. They're all very witty and fun. One of them has these great before and after photos of Kiera Knightly touched up on the "King Arthur" photo so that her stomach is flatter and her breasts are bigger. Another has this list of things you could buy with the money you spent on, say, a year's supply of SlimFast (Plane tickets to Europe. Score!) Also, they're giving away fruit smoothies at 7 p.m. Fuck it, I'll love my body for a free smoothie. Bring it on!

Actually, I've been working on the self-love thing more lately (no jokes, please). I wake up in the morning, stretch, and check myself out in the mirror. I am one fine piece of lady. Meow!

Take it away, Kate Winslet:

"The re-touching is excessive. I do not look like that and, more importantly, I don't desire to look like that. It's a little distressing this is magazine policy -- all magazines. ... I'm very aware, because I did it myself, that young women look at publications like that and see a woman looking beautiful, looking sexy and in their mind looking perfect. Therefore these women strive to look like this idea of perfection. But it isn't real. People's legs are simply not that smooth. Everyone has a lump somewhere or they have knobbly knees. I can tell you that they've reduced the size of my legs by about a third....

What is sexy? All I know from the men I've ever spoken to is that they like girls to have an arse on them, so why is it that women think in order to be adored they have to be thin? I just don't understand that way of thinking. I'm certainly not a sex symbol who doesn't eat."

No comments: